Safe Mercury Removal
Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal and Biocompatible Restorative Dentistry
Dental amalgam is a liquid mercury and metal alloy mixture, with up to 50% mercury. Mercury is the most neurotoxic, non-radioactive element on our planet. More toxic even than arsenic or lead. We recommend BPA free composite resin restorations.
The health and environmental effects of mercury and other heavy metals are well documented. Considering this we adhere to safe mercury removal protocols when removing old metal/mercury fillings to eliminate your exposure to any mercury vapors or particulate debris.
When removing amalgams, we follow the strict safety protocol of the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology. Our safety measures include:
- Isolating the teeth to be worked on with a rubber dam to protect the oral cavity. Cover the patient’s exposed skin, hair with protective wear.
- Removing the fillings in chunks so as not to vaporize the mercury, while using copious amounts of water.
- Using ozonated water throughout the procedure. (We also recommend use ozone to treat the tooth after amalgam removal and before placement of the new restorations.)
- Using an air HEPA filter/vacuum next to the patient and a whole-room purification system to keep the air clean.
- Using a powerful ionizer to remove any additional mercury particulate from the air.
- Rinsing with chlorella/activated charcoal to remove any traces of mercury.
- Provide the patient 100% oxygen source to breathe through a nasal hood or canaula.
The ADA actually supports mercury safe dentistry and calls it -The ADA’s ‘Dental Mercury Hygiene Recommendations’. The ADA lists a number of sources of mercury exposure at the dental office, including polishing and removing amalgam. It also recommends that all personnel involved in the handling of mercury and dental amalgam be trained in the potential hazards of mercury vapor and the necessity of observing good mercury hygiene.
The ADA’s Dental Mercury Hygiene Recommendations were published in: J AM Dent Assoc, Vol 134, No.11, 1498-1499; © 2003, American Dental Association.
Dr Mirkal is SMART certified, Protection Protocol certified and trained with various organizations like IAOMT, IABDM, HDA to learn their techniques in practicing mercury safe dentistry and has incorporated those nuggets into her clinical application. We have a M.A.R.S. Bio-Med LibertyBOSS filtration system. This top performing “sedimentation/filtration” system amalgam separator prevents mercury amalgam fragments from entering our water system. Please feel free to call us to know our protocols to protect the patient, staff and the environment.
We recommend liposomal vit C, immune supporting diet before and after removal and highly encourage to work with your health practitioner well versed with heavy metal detox therapy to aid in your detox journey. We offer Tri test which help to determine your hg levels.
Here are some resources to further your understanding of mercury dental amalgam fillings including toxicity symptoms by different organizations: